Lover, best friend, sibling, or whomever. Some of us have high expectations. The nature of promises is that they remain immune to changing circumstances - however, some don’t always abide by that rule. Here are some things to remember in your friendships (even relationships) for a happier, healthier outlook:
- understand that happiness = actuality/expectation. more expectations, more unhappiness
- understand that most people don’t know your expectations of them and you don’t know their expectations of you. hurt has a lot more to do with that mismatch than people being assholes
- understand that for every human being, his/her own happiness is number one, and rightly so. don’t expect them to put yours above theirs, even if you don’t understand their reasoning
- understand that friendship is a voluntary two-way exchange — there cannot be obligations
- each of you should do whatever is comfortable for you. and each of you should choose how you grade the other’s friendship based on what he/she actually does rather than what you want him/her to be
P.S. This is not original, I took these from a comment section from the article linked above.